Allonby is situated on the Northwest coast of Cumbria, well away from the jostling crowds, high prices, traffic jams and parking restrictions of the National Park but with all the glorious scenery, peace and tranquility of this beautiful part of the world.
A former fishing village, Allonby is now home to a number of local businesses and a community of writers and artists. Visitors who discover Allonby return year after year. It is a favourite ‘day out’ destination for Cumbrians, with its stretch of wild coastline, AONB dunes and quirky local businesses.
On The Door-step:
- The English Coastal path cycle route/footpath;
- The wide-open panorama of the Solway, ideal for photographers and artists;
- The blissful solitude of the beach, perfect for romantic barbecues, beach-combing, bird-watching, fishing and kite-flying;
- The ever-changing seascape and brilliant sunsets;
- The peace, quiet, rest and refreshment which add up to the extraordinary ‘Allonby Effect’.
Easy Walking Distance:
Village amenities; general store, post office, 2 pubs serving food, tea shop, renowned fish and chip shop, antique and curio barn.
A Short Drive:
Local attractions in Cockermouth, Maryport, Silloth, Carlisle and the Northern Lake District.
A Little Further Afield:
Hadrian’s Wall, Gretna and the Borders, Central and Southern Lake District.